Monday, August 8, 2011

Another One?!?!

I'm always working on a project.  I think most of you know this about me - I'm famous for starting one, but have a track record of never finishing them.  One of the qualities I totally dislilke about myself.  I'm gonna' fix this by the time I'm 30.  OR maybe I should just learn to live with it and any other bad qualities I had planned on fixing by the time I turn 30.  I mean, really? Who am I kidding?  I'll be 30 in a matter of months.  Can you hear me bawling?  I mean seriously, I hyperventilate about the big 3-0 on a daily basis.  Anwyay, I'm saving my triple decade tears for tomorrow, because today, TODAY!, I have COMPLETED projects to share!!!  Well, almost completed, but I'm confident I will finish them:-)

Remember, I swapped Tripp's room with the guest bedroom? And I really didn't feel like painting again, so I had to get creative and work with what I have. I found this great fabric that did a pretty good job of tieing everything together and I made more pelmet boxes (stick with what you know, right?) 
Yes, I did grow those zinnias in my garden this year. Jalapenos and zinnias. That's about it. I attempted squash and eggplant but something ate them, and unfortunately, it wasn't us. And yes, that is a souvenier shot glass from NYC that I'm using for a vase. I'm classy like that.

On another wall in the room is this:
Ta Da!!  I think I'm finished with this gallery wall.  I really like how it truned out, but I'm a "tweaker", you know what I mean.  BTW, the only money I spent on this was for the actual prints themselves, which I picked up at Walgreen's today (less than $7).  The frames were hand-me-downs or presents and that little print in the middle is from my friend Rambo.  I cherish it.

And the BIG project we've been working on is this cabinet:
 It's obviously not finished, but it's come a along way, baby!

It belonged to my grandparents and then my mom had it for a while in her house.  When I got it from the barn (for free!), it was a nice pink color with about an inch of dust and multiple spider webs.  After my dad assured me it would fit in our house, I got it home, and Allen and I cleaned, sanded, cleaned again, and primed to get it to this state.
Well, guess what, peeps?  It fit in the house, but would not make the turn into our guest bedroom!  So Allen and Tripp did some "thinkin' and figurin'...


and then Allen did some cuttin' and cussin'.
And after painting it a gross gray,
I ended up using a glossy, latex black which I'm liking A LOT!  My husband's idea, by the way.  Who knew he had such great taste?
 Does anyone else have an unhealthy addiction to magazines?  That red tray is filled with decorating/recipe/inspiration ideas I've cut from magazines.  They will evenutally go into the above binders, which I have plans to recover in fun paper.  I'm also considering putting some fabric on the back of the cabinet.  Maybe that white & black (just a remnant left over from recovering my desk chair and sewing chair). 

Anyway one more project to share: these were also recently given to me for Fuh-REEEEE!
 Don't act like you don't like them. You'll hurt their feelings.

One coat of primer and they're already looking better, don't you think!

They remind me of these artichoke lamps I've been seeing on all the design blogs lately.  Just the upside down version.  And the cheaper version compared to these, retailing at $625 each!!

I haven't decided what color to paint them yet.  I'm thinking that orangey-red in the fabric.  What do you think?

And in other news:
I, too, have had a pretty sweet makeover.
He's the quite the artist, no? I discovered him in my make-up bag and well, the rest is history. He's going to school you know. (Not cosmetology school; preschool.) I have mixed emotions. It's only 2 days a week for 4 hours a day. I know it will be good for both of us but I'll certainly miss my partner in crime.

2 comments:

atfarrar said...

Love the window treatment and the cabinet looks great as well! Poor Allen, having to cut the thing into! I bet he was talking bad about his Alabama relatives! Those poor old lamps may surprise me yet:-) And that Tripp...a carpenter; a make-up artist...what will he do next?!?!? Mama

Grandneighbor JuJu said...

Around that same time there was some cussin going on next door too!