Sunday, May 23, 2010

5 Years of Wedded Bliss


How did we go from this...

to this?!?!?!
I think this is what 5 years of marriage will do to a couple! That's right, folks, Allen and I just celebrated 5 years of marriage. Some days it feels like it hasn't been that long ago when we walked down the aisle and then others, well, let's just say it seems longer than 5 years...

Our "story" however actually began almost 7 years ago when on one fateful night, Allen and I were "paired" together for a semi-blind date. Long story, but here we go-a big group of our single college friends decided to go on "dates" for Valentine's Day. There were 4 and we all drew names to see who would be matched up with who(m? - I always get those confused) for each date. My dates were as follows:

Ride to Montgomery - Matt Baker (and Lindsay was in the car with me. Her date was Jonathan Forsythe.)
Dinner in Montgomery - Randy Whitehead
Shakespeare Play - ALLEN VINSON
Ride back to Auburn - Scott Moore (& thank goodness for this. Scott & I were good friends by this point and I could tell him all about my Shakespeare date)

Something totally clicked that night & if you ask either one of us, we'll tell you we just knew. And 5 years of marriage, 1 baby, 1 mortgage, & 1 income later, we still know!

A few pictures from when we were dating...

This was actually at the Shakespeare Festival (haircut - awful)

Our first ADPi formal
Halloween - this totally makes me laugh every time I look at it!
This is the ski trip where I told Allen I could never marry him. He proposed 2 weeks later & I guess we all know what happened next....
I would love to post more pictures from this day & hope to soon, but for now "this" is telling me he wants breakfast...


6 comments:

LB said...

I love this post and all the pictures. A fun walk down memory lane. Happy Anniversary!!!

Milla said...

Awww, I love this, Shannon! What happy memories. Why did you tell Allen you couldn't marry him? That's so funny... Happy 5 years!!

shannon said...

Oh Milla! He tried to teach me to ski & all along I told him I needed a professional. There was a huge argument about him not being considerate, patient, etc... & it ended with me walking down the mountain holding my skis. That was the last time we went skiing!

LB-who were your dates? I meant to ask that question in my blog. And were you & Scott dating then?

LB said...

Just seeing this comment--

date 1--John Prichard
date 2--that guy (can't remember his name) that thought he was cool and kept putting his hand on my back everywhere we walked
date 3--Jo Fo

Scott and I were not dating, but we were good friends.

LB said...

oh, just realized I had four dates--Ryan Upton was my dinner date, but he didn't know who I was, and I got left outside the restaurant after all the other girls had been "chosen." Brandon and his date came back and got me.

shannon said...

Too funny! OK, I have no idea who Ryan Upton is. And that guy who thought he was cool, is now an author. I saw him on FB through a friend. beau something.